Do you tend to make decisions by thinking it through or more on emotions? (Percentages would be helpful, since it’s a mix for all of us.)
Why is love such a challenging concept?
What’s most challenging about love – for you?
Re-read the text: John 13:1-20
The Act of Love (1-6)
"Now before the Feast of the Passover, when Jesus knew that his hour had come..."
- Timing is about impact. Why do you think Jesus waited to do this now?
- Talk about God’s timing in your life. Some examples of when you thought God was early? Late? Share something you are still waiting on God for…
“Jesus…rose from dinner…”
- Actions speak louder than words. Give some examples in your marriage relationship, family, business…etc.
The Understanding behind the Act (6-11)
Somethings just don’t feel right.
- What do you think Peter was thinking? Why was this hard for him?
- Describe a time when you saw someone doing likewise – tho differently.
Someone’s lack of understanding should not hinder following.
- Jesus essentially tells Peter that He knows that Peter does not understand…Describe a time you “followed” even though you did not understand. (Guys, what did you think about it? Gals, what did you feel about it?)
Sometimes even when you get it, you don’t.
- Peter thought he got it…but he didn’t really. We’ve all been there. Anyone care to share a time when you thought you had God figured out – but didn’t?
The Application of this teaching to our Daily Lives (12-20)
“Do you understand what I have done for you?”
- What had Jesus done for His disciples?
“If I then…you also ought to wash one another’s feet.”
- What does it mean today to “wash one another’s feet”? Give some examples…