A Place that Cannot be Shaken
May 17, 2015
Topic: Spiritual Growth Passage: Hebrews 12:18–12:29
Fire! - Winter/Spring 2015 Series
May 17, 2015 - A Place that Cannot be Shaken, Hebrews 12:18-29
Introduction: Have you ever been in an earthquake? (Describe).
Describe a time when your world was “shaken”.
A. A Tale of Two Mountains (Hebrews 12:18-24)
a. Mt. Fear (18-21)
i. Skim over Exodus 19 (2 minutes) and then describe, together, the scene.
ii. Read Deuteronomy 4:9-14. What does this add to the scene?
iii. Discuss together what it means to “fear the Lord”.
iv. Should unbelievers be afraid in this regard? Why? Why not?
v. What part did fear play in your coming to Christ?
b. Mt. Grace (22-24)
i. Mt. Zion
ii. City of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem. (Cf. Hebrews 11:9-10; 13-16) What strikes you about the city God has prepared for us? Does “city” sound too urban? Vs. “country”/ “small town”?
iii. Innumerable angels is festal gathering – Any conclusions, thoughts? (Read Hebrews 1:6-7, 12-14)
iv. Assembly/Church of the Firstborn who are enrolled in heaven.
1. Who is the firstborn? (Luke 2:7; Rom. 8:29; Col. 1:15,18; Heb. 1:6; Rev. 1:5)
2. Then who are those “enrolled in heaven”? (Hint: The church is people.)
v. To God, the judge of all. Remember the two Judgments?
1. Great White Throne for ________________ (Rev. 20:11ff.)
2. The Judgment Seat of Christ for _________________ (2 Cor. 5:10)
vi. To the spirits of the righteous made perfect. What does this mean?
vii. To Jesus, mediator of a new covenant.
viii. To the blood that speaks a better word than the blood of Abel.
1. Remember the first brothers, Cain and Abel? (Gen. 4:1ff.) What does Abel’s blood speak?
2. What does Jesus blood speak? (check your concordance for references to ‘blood’.)
B. The Final “Shakedown” (Hebrews 12:25-29)
a. At least five warnings in Hebrews about falling away. (2:1-3; 3:12-13; 6:4-6; 10:26-31; 12:25-29) Why?
b. Can you give an example of a “shaking” that helped you in your Christian life?
Conclusion: What conclusions and applications can you draw from vv. 26ff.?